May 30, 2008

flabbergasted

I appear to have stepped into bizarro-world somehow. My students came up from lunch screaming and crowding around my door - I don't have a class right now - because, get this, they were arguing about whether someone had done a math problem correctly. I opened the door and 8 students flooded in and started screaming at me and each other - just trying to be heard, not aggressively - to demand that I a) referee the dispute about this particular order of operations problem and b) listen to the 10th and 11th graders claim mathematical superiority over the 9th graders. Following which a number of students demanded copies of the final review packet with which to demonstrate their claimed prowess.

Students are sneaking out of class to get math problems! The world has gone mad!

No comments: